By Michelle Draxten, Public Health Nutritionist, Fargo Cass Public Health
Supporting breastfeeding employees has many business benefits. Fargo Cass Public Health is excited to continue its support of breastfeeding in the workplace and has funding up to $500 available for worksites in Cass County to achieve the Infant-Friendly Worksite Designation.
The Infant-Friendly Worksite Designation is a free recognition program through the state of North Dakota for businesses that support their breastfeeding employees. These businesses have a breastfeeding policy that includes:
- Flexible scheduling to allow for expression of milk/nursing,
- Providing a private, clean space (not a toilet stall or restrooms) for pumping/nursing,
- Access to a clean water source for washing hands and breast pump equipment, and
- Providing refrigeration for temporary storage of breast milk.
The key focus of the funds is to assist worksites in overcoming the most commonly reported barrier to supporting their breastfeeding employees: adequate space that is private and comfortable. Funds can be used to purchase a chair, small table, door lock, refrigerator, soft lighting, and more. Fargo Cass Public Health staff are also available to assist businesses in identifying a space, as well as policy development and implementation.
Businesses who receive funding are then encouraged to apply for the Infant-Friendly Worksite Designation. The application is free and available online. Being designated reflects a business’s commitment to supporting breastfeeding employees and their families. These businesses can also use “Infant-Friendly” on any promotional or recruitment materials. Read more about the business benefits in this post.
Applications for funds to support breastfeeding in the workplace are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Funds are limited and must be spent by September 30, so apply today!
Join these local businesses who are currently designated as Infant-Friendly:
- Apex Physical Therapy & Wellness Center
- Cass County Government
- City of Fargo
- City of West Fargo
- CoreLink Administrative Solutions
- Courts Plus Community Fitness Center
- Dakota Medical Foundation
- Discovery Benefits
- Eide Bailly LLP
- Elim Care Center
- Fargo Jet Center
- Fargo Park District
- Fargo VA Health Care System
- Gate City Bank
- Lillestol Research LLC
- ManorCare Health Services
- North Dakota State University
- Prairie Roots Food Co-op
- Preference Employment Solutions
- TMI Hospitality
- Town & Country Credit Union
- Tronsgard & Sullivan Dental
- Weather Modification Inc
- West Acres Mall
- WEX Health
- YMCA Early Learning Center South
- YWCA Cass Clay
Support your breastfeeding employees and their families — become a designated Infant-Friendly Worksite. Apply HERE!
Contact Michelle Draxten with any questions and for a grant application!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.